By law, all businesses are required to have at least one fully qualified first aider on-site at all times. All business must carry out their own full due diligence to ensure all staff are receiving legally compliant training.
To comply with your legal duties under the Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 your choice must be appropriate & adequate based on a needs assessment & appropriate due diligence being conducted.
Those who are self-employed should also have some formal first aid training.
If your workplace has more significant health and safety risks, for example, you use machinery or hazardous materials then you are more likely to need a trained first-aider. You must provide all your employees with details of the first-aid arrangements.
Your liability insurance may be affected if you have no first aid provision in place or if have attended a course that is not legally accredited.
When selecting a training provider you should check:
- The teaching qualifications of those delivering the training.
- Is there monitoring & quality assurance systems in place·
- The teaching and standards of first aid practice
- The syllabus content is delivered to awarding body requirements
- Certification process
- Training centres should demonstrate that the class size is appropriate to assess competences.
- Do the certificates issued to students,assessed as competent, contain appropriate information?· The name of the training organisation·
- The name of the Ofqual regulated awarding body.
- The name of the candidate who achieved the qualification.
- The title of the qualification.
- An indication that the certification has been issued for the purpose of complying with the requirements of the Health & Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981
- Confirmation that the certificate is valid for three years·
- A statement that teaching was delivered in accordance with currently accepted first aid practice.
Why Willhan Training
- We pride ourselves on working in partnership with businesses to ensure the training courses you & your staff attend are suitable for your needs.
- As standard, we ensure all delegates all who attend any of our courses gain a legally accredited qualification at NO extra cost.Our teaching staff are qualified to Cert.Ed. level 5 in teaching, with over 20 years of teaching experience.
- All delegates on any of our courses are able to share ideas & good practice with other attending to take back into their workplace.ALL who attend are promised quality teaching, using current teaching & learning strategies.
Sourses: Willhan Training & HSE.org 27.3.20